- Combines the power of Brocade networking leadership with LG-Ericsson voice expertise
- Delivers data center and enterprise switches and routers under the LG-Ericsson brand “iPECS”
- LG-Ericsson and Brocade (Nasdaq: BRCD) today announced a strategic partnership through which LG-Ericsson will offer industry-leading networking solutions from Brocade and enable both companies to jointly pursue business opportunities in the high-growth Korean Information and Communications Technology (ICT) market. South Korea ranks among the top ten Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (1) countries with a total size of nearly USD75 billion per year.
This partnership leverages the complementary strengths of both companies. Brocade delivers innovative networking solutions for both enterprise and data center professionals who want to simplify the deployment of new capabilities such as virtualization, unified communications, cloud-based architectures and IPv6. LG-Ericsson is a leader in the development of global communications products and a leader in cutting-edge fixed and wireless telecommunications and networking solutions in Korea.
Following the conclusion of the agreement, LG-Ericsson will build a complete Layer 2 to Layer 7 network product portfolio by adding Brocade® core Layer 2/3 enterprise switch products with field-proven technology and stability under the LG-Ericsson “iPECS” (IP Enterprise Communications Solution) brand. Furthermore, the two companies will further explore the feasibility of jointly developing convergence solutions that integrate Brocade data products and LG-Ericsson voice solutions to address the diverse demands of the networking market.
“Brocade is delighted to partner with LG-Ericsson to deliver a new portfolio of high-performance VoIP solutions to Korea,” said Deb Dutta, vice president of Brocade Asia Pacific. “The unique combination of both companies’ technologies will serve that market’s ever-increasing demands of bandwidth, functionality and reliability in the high-growth communications segment.”
International Data Corporation (IDC) predicts that growth in the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service market will continue while the home phone market significantly drops off. IDC recently reported that the Korean VoIP service market, except wholesale, grew from 2008 to 2009 and continues to escalate. More specifically, revenue increased from KRW279.1 billion in 2008 to KRW469.3 billion in 2009. And its compound annual growth rate (CAGR) is likely to rise to 37.2 percent in the next five years to approximately KRW1.14 trillion by 2013. (2)
To address these substantial networking business opportunities, LG-Ericsson plans to offer five Brocade Ethernet switching and routing product families designed for data center and enterprise environments. LG-Ericsson plans to launch these Brocade networking solutions under its “iPECS” brand throughout Korea in April, 2011.
Initially, the agreement covers the following products:
• Brocade FastIron® WS and Brocade FCX Series switches: High-performance, flexible and easy-to-manage 1 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) campus wiring closet and top-of-rack switches that are purpose-built for today’s converged voice/data networks and virtual data centers. They will be named as iPECS FWS and iPECS FCX.
• Brocade TurboIron® 24X Switch: A compact, high-performance, high-availability and low-latency 10/1 GbE dual-speed switch that meets mission-critical data center top-of-rack, aggregation and High-Performance Cluster Computing (HPCC) requirements. They will be named as iPECS Turbo24X.
• Brocade FastIron SX Series switches: Switches that provide industry-leading price-performance value for campus aggregation in a chassis-based scalable, secure, low-latency and fault-tolerant infrastructure for 1 GbE and 10 GbE enterprise deployments. A highly available, high-performance and non-blocking architecture with 8- and 16-slot chassis supports integrated Power over Ethernet (PoE) functions with IPv4/IPv6-capable Layer 2/3 switching and routing. They will be named as iPECS FSX.
• Brocade BigIron® RX Series switches: Cost-effective, high-density/high availability 10 GbE chassis-based switches that provide both line-rate and oversubscription options. They feature a compact design with system redundancy built in for all major components, providing aggregation for dense 10 GbE environments. The switches include high-performance IPv6-capable Layer 2/3 switching and routing. They will be named as iPECS BRX.
• Brocade MLX Series routers: IP/MPLS aggregation routers delivering unprecedented scale and performance, high reliability and cost-saving operational efficiency for the most demanding enterprise and data center networks. Fully distributed, non-blocking architecture with up to 3.2 Tbps data capacity (~2 billion pps) per system, as well as support for advanced MPLS, VPN and IPv6 features. Line-rate performance for all 10 GbE and 1 GbE interfaces. They will be named as iPECS NMLX.
Headquartered in San Jose, California, Brocade is an industry leader in providing reliable, high-performance network solutions that are used in 90 percent of Global 1000 data centers. From data centers and enterprise networks to the service provider core, Brocade networking solutions help organizations optimize their current and future applications while simplifying their operations.
“Brocade leads the industry in providing comprehensive network solutions including Layer 2/3 switches and routers,” said SH Kim, vice president and general manager of LG-Ericsson Enterprise Solutions. “Combining core capabilities of LG-Ericsson’s voice technology expertise and Brocade’s strength in Ethernet networking, I am confident that both companies will create synergies to build market share in the Korean market.”
Meanwhile, LG-Ericsson has taken leadership by delivering best-in-class products in Korea’s Layer 2/3 switch market worth over KRW500 billion. It aims to become one of top three companies in the data network market in Korea by 2011, and lead the markets in data and voice convergence solutions.
(1) The OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) is an international organization of countries with highly developed economies and democratic governments.
(2) IDC 2010: Forecast on local VoIP Service Market from 2008 to 2013
LG-Ericsson empowers enterprise customers and telecommunications operators around the world with a full range of cutting-edge fixed and wireless telecommunications and networking solutions. The company is a joint venture between Ericsson and LG Electronics. It was established on November 3, 2005 and renamed LG-Ericsson after Ericsson acquired a majority stake in it. The company has 1300 employees and is headquartered in Seoul, Korea, with its R&D center in Anyang, Korea.
For more information go to: www.lgericsson.com
Brocade (Nasdaq: BRCD) networking solutions help the world’s leading organizations transition smoothly to a world where applications and information reside anywhere. (www.brocade.com)
Brocade, the B-wing symbol, BigIron, DCFM, DCX, Fabric OS, FastIron, IronView, NetIron, SAN Health, ServerIron, TurboIron, and Wingspan are registered trademarks, and Brocade Assurance, Brocade NET Health, Brocade One, Extraordinary Networks, MyBrocade, VCS, and VDX are trademarks of Brocade Communications Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or in other countries. Other brands, products, or service names mentioned are or may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
For Further Information
Phone: +82 2 2005 2128
Brocade APAC Corporate Communications
Tel: 65 6317 2464